The Gallery Sales Associate (SA) reports directly to the Gallery Director (GD) and is responsible for greeting and assisting incoming students, instructors, and visitors, and providing information about Penland School, gallery artists, and local studios to gallery visitors. The SA assists gallery customers with purchases, placing orders, and responding to inquiries about Penland affiliated artists.
• Minimum of one year of retail gallery sales or equivalent skills and experience
• Highly skilled with computers and related software. Fluency with Mac OSX, computer applications such as word processing (Microsoft Word), spreadsheet (Excel) and database software is required. Familiarity with Filemaker Pro and Shopkeeper is helpful but not required.
• Able to use a calculator, credit card machine, and handle money with a high degree of accuracy. An ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, percentages, etc., is required
• General knowledge of craft material and technique, and understanding of the field of contemporary craft
• Willingness to learn about and engage with Penland programming, events, and local arts activities
• Ability to interact and converse easily with a wide range of visitors; give information clearly, patiently and politely and respond with the same abilities to all questions from individuals
• Able to make informed decisions concerning the gallery, sales, and visitors needs as problems arise; able to handle situations with a wide range of people in a mature, calm, and rational manner
• Able to manage a varied workload, work well independently and under supervision, work collegially with others, cooperating in both interpersonal and team relationships
• Detail-oriented person who is adaptable and enjoys multi-tasking
• Emotional maturity, integrity, enthusiasm, self-confidence, humor, and poise
• Basic experience with art handling, packing, and shipping.
• Able to safely and sensibly move and carry gallery items such as pedestals, artwork, boxes and furniture.